The accessibility survey delivered to restaurants in the Urbana-Champaign area can be seen below. Each question was answered with Yes, No, or N/A with the exception of #20 which required measurements made in inches.
Based on the survey results, restaurants were categorized into the following accessibility levels:
Excellent Accessibility: A restaurant has “Excellent” accessibility if it has “Yes” for all of the questions with the exception of question 10.
Good Accessibility: A restaurant has “Good” accessibility if it has “Yes” to all of the following questions: 1 or 1a, 3 or 3a, 11, 12, and 15-18.
Limited Accessibility: A restaurant has “Limited Accessibility” if it has “No” to any of the following questions: 1 or 1a, 3 or 3a, 11, 12, 15-18
- Is there at least one designated accessible parking space in the restaurant’s private lot?
- If no, is there at least one public accessible parking space within 1 block?
- Is this restaurant located on or near a public bus route?
- Is the entrance to the restaurant accessed by level ground?
- If not, is the entrance to the restaurant accessed by a low-incline ramp 36 inches wide?
- Is the entrance threshold less than 3/4 inches tall?
- Is the doorway clearance at least 32 inches wide?
- Can the entrance door be opened with a limited grasp?
- Are there aisles and pathways between chairs or tables that are 36 inches wide?
- Are all of the condiments accessible on counters that are within 36 inches in height and within arm’s length of 25 inches from the edge?
- Do any of the tables offer 27 inches (from the ground) for knee space?
- Is a menu offered in Braille and/or large print?
- Does the restaurant welcome people with disabilities with service animals as required by ADA?
- Do all fire and emergency alarms in public areas have both audible and visual signals?
- Is there signage to indicate accessible restrooms?
- Can the restroom door be opened with minimal force / a limited grasp?
- Does the doorway leading to the restroom(s) have at least 32 inches of clearance space?
- Is the aisle-way leading up to the accessible stall at least 42 inches wide?
- Does the accessible stall door have at least 32 inches of clearance space?
- Is the toilet seat 17 – 19 inches above the floor?
- Are there grab bars behind and on the sidewall nearest the toilet?
- Measurement of the interior of the stall space (length and width in inches)
- Is the counter with washbasin no higher than 34 inches from the floor?
- Is there 27 inches of knee clearance under the sink?
- Are soap and other dispensers no higher than 48 inches from the floor at the point where the product is dispensed?
- Can faucets be operated with a closed fist?
- What assistance and/or accommodations does this restaurant offer to persons with disabilities?